I dun wanna grow up...
At times... when life's being mean... when reality comes round and strikes you from nowhere... it's when i really dun wanna grow up...

PIXEL WARS

By swwosh
Just less than 10 years ago, dad brought home our first digital camera. It was a Nikon Coolpix, but I can't remember which model. It had a 3.1MP sensor in it, and had one of the highest megapixels during that time. How much was it? RM2000+ for a 3.1MP Nikon camera. We loved it! It used compact flash memory which cost a few hundred for a 256MB compact flash. Digital photography was still new to us in the family, and pixels didn't really matter. The transition from 35mm film to digital was also adapted really fast. After all, all we did was just 'point n shoot' and not bothering about changing it to other settings. "A" (automatic mode) was Absolutely Amazing for us. Then the years went on, and the Nikon was left aside in the box and used occasionally for special events such as birthdays. Pixels in cameras increased like how the Australian dollar increased. I'm not talking about the Australian currency now, I know how badly it's dropped, but over the past 10 years. (by the way... it's AUD$1 is approx. RM2.40 now)
3MP was the best you could get in the late 20th century. RM2000+ was the price you'd spend on a 3MP camera in the late 20th century. Today, 3MP cameras are ANCIENT. People would be too embarrass to bring out their old 3MP digital camera. Now, almost everyone has at least a 5MP camera, because the prices have dropped dramatically due to the big market out there. You could get yourself a 5MP kodak digital camera for under AUD$100 now, that's how cheap it is.

I've recently made myself interested in photography. All this while, photography was really just point and shoot to me. As long as i get a picture, I'm happy with it. Everything has changed now after buying my first camera. Yes, MY FIRST in the year 2008. All these while, all my photos was taken with my phone. It started off with a Nokia 6670 which was a staggering 1.3MP. Then i upgraded myself to a Nokia N80 which was 3MP. All these were non-autofocus. Then came my Motorola V8 which was a 2MP camera phone. Why did i degrade myself??? Well, I didn't think much of photography and always thought that the quality of a camera phone is no match with an actual camera. Being a 5MP N95 compared to any 5MP camera out there, the result is obvious. There's is only so much stuff you can fit into a phone. Now, I'm using a 2MP autofocus LG Prada. I must admit, the quality is not good, but autofocus is always there for me. My first step in my self-taught guide to phography is reading magazines. I only bought my camera like 2 months ago, and now I'm a proud owner of nearly 10 photography magazines. Just by reading and not physically getting out there to photograph, you learn a lot of techniques that creates a good photo. I am considered really new in photography, like a new born baby in the photography world. It'll be a while before I can create stunning pictures. As for now, teaching myself through books is the best way to go.

Anyways, I'm off topic. PIXEL WARS!!! Like i said, it was only less than 10 years ago, 3MP was the highest pixel. In 2007, Canon came out with the world's highest pixel camera, which was the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III. It boasts a 21.1MP sensor in it, and is the most common used full frame Dslr. How much is this??? It's about AUD$21000+. Yup! it's THAT expensive. Almost every pro photographer owns one of this.

Last month, Sony unveiled their first full frame Dslr. The Sony Alpha 900. I am not too sure what the pricing on this camera, but it'll be around the same as the EOS 1Ds. EXPENSIVE!!! A month ago, this camera claimed the title of being the world's highest pixel camera with it's 24.6MP sensor.


A few weeks later in Cologne, Germany, Leica showed the world what they were capable of by stealing away Sony's title of the world's highest pixel camera by introducing the Leica S2, at Photokina, one of the largest biennial photo-imaging tradeshows. This baby has a 37MP sensor in it. Leica was unable to provide pricing and availability at press time, but knowing the prestige of the brand, we'll probably have to pay a lot more for the S2 than other dSLRs.

And when u thought 37MP was the highest resolution u can get this year... think again!!! the Swedish camera company, Hasselblad has created a MONSTER camera. SO how many MPs do u think this camera has??? Since Leica has already created a 37MP one, mayb 40MP??? 45MP??? From innovative Volvos, to heavenly delicious Swedish meatballs, it seems that Swedish like to amaze the world with their ingenious ideas. Hasselblad has come out with a 50MEGAPIXEL CAMERA!!!! 50!!!! that's like... INSANE!!! so what??? in 2 years time, they're gonna come up with a 100MP camera??? hahaha...

But end of the day, do you really need a camera with such a high resolution??? To me, 20+MP would the most I'd go. What do you think??? the more pixels the better???

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?